bite size goal one

Leo Babutta, some guy whose blog I follow had this to say ‘Even the most motivated of us — you, me, Tony Robbins — can feel unmotivated at times. In fact, sometimes we get into such a slump that even thinking about making positive changes seems too difficult. But it’s not hopeless: with some small steps, baby ones in fact, you can get started down the road to positive change. Yes, I know, it seems impossible at times. You don’t feel like doing anything. I’ve been there, and in fact I still feel that way from time to time. You’re not alone. Whenever I’ve been in a slump, I’ve discovered that it’s often because I have too much going on in my life. I’m trying to do too much. And it saps my energy and motivation. It’s probably the most common mistake that people make: they try to take on too much, try to accomplish too many goals at once. You cannot maintain energy and focus (the two most important things in accomplishing a goal) if you are trying to do two or more goals at once. It’s not possible — I’ve tried it many times. You have to choose one goal, for now, and focus on it completely. I know, that’s hard. Still, I speak from experience. You can always do your other goals when you’ve accomplished your One Goal.’

I have to say that he makes sense. When  I focused on getting into shape with a single focus it worked. It has become such a part of me that I find myself texting my gym instructor that I won’t make it while at a dinner party since it’s such a part of my life that I can’t imagine not working out when I am not supposed. I still play rookie once in a while but that’s an exception rather than the norm. I told my friend how for the last two months I have been sleeping an average of three or four hours daily irrespective of the time I go to bed and it is not even restful sleep. My career or should I say lack thereof(tongue in cheek) is the constant worry in my life. It is not where I thought it would be nor is it where I want it to be. A colleague recently pointed out  that I am being melodramatic and insane in stating that I feel like a failure when I look at my career and I do get where what he was saying but so much of who I am is tied to what I do and how well I do it. I do admit that is not healthy but that is how it is and so the world is currently a very grey place for me seeing as my career is in the dumps. My main demotivating factor is the helplessness I feel. The serenity prayer asks God to give the  supplicater the courage to change things that they can. The one thing I can do is look at other market prospects. The input required from me is to update my resume and simply send them out to other companies.

 

So to tie it in to Leo’s suggestion my bite size goal is to work on my Resume and submit it. That is the goal for this weekend and next week. When it comes to dealing with any feedback from them it will be another goal if I so choose. Frankly the idea of ‘doing something to steer my career in the direction it should go’ sounds too huge for me. So I will stick to bite size goal.

 

Incidentally I am going to see my folks tonight…I guess the hope-to-do list is getting done.

You Might Also Like

0 comments